Please wait while we create a summary for this..!
The park was established as part of the Whitworth Institute, a memorial concept to famous engineer Sir Joseph Whitworth. The Institute secured the land for Whitworth Park in 1889, which was then known as Potters Field and the Park was opened in 1890. The park was formally handed over in October 1904 on a 1000-year lease. The Whitworth Institute was taken over by the University of Manchester in 1958 when it became the Whitworth Art Gallery. The University of Manchester remains the owner of the park and Manchester City Council is the lessee. There is a statue of 'Edward VII' by John Cassidy and a First World War memorial to the 7th Manchester's. Located in south Manchester next to Rusholme, Whitworth Park is a 15 minute drive/bus ride from the centre. There are regular and frequent buses travelling past the park. The bus stop is a 1 minute walk from the park. For more information on transport, the excellent Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) website contains route planners, to find your way from anywhere in Manchester, as well as downloadable timetables.