WINNING HEARTS & MINDS REPORT
Winning Hearts and Minds have just released their latest report – ‘Be Brave: Building Community Led Initiatives in North Manchester’ - documenting their learning over 2019-2021.
The programme is a multi-agency, whole system approach, with more intense work in the most disadvantaged neighbourhoods, in order to improve outcomes, reduce health inequities across Manchester.
In 2018, data showed that Manchester had some of the poorest heart and mental health outcomes in England. Manchester’s Population Health Plan described the three lifestyle behaviours that led to the four long-term health conditions that cause the large majority of preventable deaths (3-4-50 Framework). We also knew things like where you live, your ethnicity, or your income, were having a huge impact on how healthy Manchester residents were. These health inequalities were only getting worse too, so we knew that we needed to do something completely different.
AIMS FOR MANCHESTER COMMUNITIES
- To improve the conditions that create health in the most socially disadvantaged neighbourhoods
- To reduce levels of inactivity (i.e. reduce the no. of adults undertaking less than 30mins of moderate-vigorous activity per week)
- To reduce the number of heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular events
- To improve the physical health of people with Severe and Enduring Mental Illness (SMI)
- To strengthen connections, relationships and collective action for healthy lifestyles.
BE BRAVE: BUILDING COMMUNITY LED INITIATIVES IN NORTH MANCHESTERCommunity Led Initiatives has been underway since 2019, and so, halfway through the programme, we decided to put our work so far into a report to share what we’ve learnt so far.
We took our learning, and created a Winning Hearts and Minds Framework, which shows our ways of working and the approach we feel empowers communities to lead improvements to their own health and wellbeing.
For a printed copy of the report, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.