The benefits of walking and runnning to our physical and mental wellbeing are well known, but its place in society has taken on even more significance during lockdown. There are plenty of ways to enjoy this within your local area, see below.
Canal & River Trust Walking Routes
- 2,000 miles of canal towpaths provide largely flat, traffic-free walking routes, taking you from the inner city right into the heart of the countryside. Take a waterside walk and feel the difference.
Couch to 5K
- A week-by-week description of the 9-week set of Couch to 5K podcasts. Each week involves 3 runs to get you engrossed in a regular fitness routine to help you move more each day.
Better Guide To Running In Winter
- There are so many benefits of exercising in cold weather. Not only does it keep your body moving throughout the winter months, but it’s great to boost your mood, heart health and immune system. If you’re ready to get moving and your chosen activity is running, this guide will help you get started for running in the cold.
Manchester Green Trails - The Green Trail is a walking circuit made of 14 routes which circumnavigate the City of Manchester and connect many of the city’s parks, woodlands and open spaces.
- Find a walking route to help explore your local area or somewhere new in Greater Manchester
New Footsteps, New Discoveries - Ancoats
- Whether you're seeking sport and physical activities, nature, history or simply find out more about where you live, there's plenty to discover in your local area. Starting from your doorstep, trial new footsteps and unearth those hidden gems within walking distance of your home.
- The Love Exploring app puts the power of discovery in your hands by providing a range of discovery games and guided tours that are fun to do and free to use. You can also use our New Footsteps, New Discoveries featured maps to explore Ancoats & Surrounding areas!
Mini Beast Hunt Outdoor Activity
- Explore and take part in a mini beast hunt at your local park!
Go Jauntly App
- Check out the various walking activities you can take part in across Manchester via this free app.